Monday, October 29, 2007

S Is For Siblings


Here we are, the three of us...years and years ago.

My sister: who can still play almost any musical instrument she comes across...
who spent hours with me when I played with my doll house..
who held my hand when we walked to the movies.

My brother: who is one of the funniest, quickest people I know...
who called me PeeWee to annoy me...(he still does)
who used to tell me, "Heads I win, tails you lose."*

The two of them convinced me that there was a ghost in our attic. I knew with certainty that I was that ghost's main target. I still remember my dreams about him. One in particular that even then had a theme...a name. It was The Red Shoes nightmare. The ghost came and got me out of bed. He threw me over his shoulder and carried me up to the attic where my entire kindergarten class was assembled. We were all commanded to dance, to dance until we fell senseless and exhausted to the floor. I don't remember how long it took me to truly understand that there really was no ghost. He was certainly fodder for some bizarre dreams!

I still have that chair that I was sitting on for our picture. It was my grandmother's and the fabric covering the seat is worn, torn and faded. I just can't bring myself to recover it!

Best

*It took me years to figure that one out. Not too swift here!

5 comments:

Marti said...

What a great photo!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

My dreams have titles too! There was "Betrayed!", where my Mom turned me over to the invading dinosaur hordes and "Shot in the Dark", where my sister and I were abondoned on a spooky old road and red necks were shooting at us.

I got the patterns! Silly french carrots :)

marylou said...

Cutest little buckaroos I ever saw:) Can't say enough about family, they are the BEST! Thanks for sharing:)
Hugs, Marylou

Monica said...

Precious memories Ellen!
I love the fact that a single picture can contain so many wonderful stories from life.

Nora said...

Great pictures! I am also a youngest child and spent years trying to understand my older brothers' jokes. I'm also impressed that you can use a scanner (assuming that's how you got that photo in). I have not yet mastered this skill.