Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Birthday

Today is my father's birthday.
 He was a good and loving man.
I was 30 when he died.
I missed him fiercely for years.
Daddy taught me many things...
look people in the eye,
have a firm grip when you shake hands,
love your family and friends,
and show them with actions
and words...everyday.
I cannot recall a day in my life
when I didn't hear Daddy say
to us all,
"I love you."
He certainly wasn't perfect.
Neither am I.
I like to think that I have all of the good
that was in him,
and recognize some of the not so good.
He is in my veins, 
he flows through me everyday,
not in a conscious way, 
but I know he is here in me
and in my children.
I treasure his sense of humor,
his delight in the small things,
and the child like wonder of this world
he never lost.
Thank you, Daddy, for all you
gave to us.
best to all, e.



5 comments:

Leigh @ Toasted said...

Such a beautiful picture of your dad. I really love that he taught you to look people in the eye - that is truly a gift.

Susan T said...

He sounds a wonderful man and father - with a smile that would light up a room. Sweet memories.

Babs, Jo, John said...

I like your Dads photo with that mischievous smile, he
must have been fun too. a great memory for you and
a treasure to pass on tok the family. B

jackie said...

what a lovely merry smile he has!! delightful remembrance, nice of you to share.

Ginnie said...

You lost him much too soon! He sounds like he was very special.