Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Summertime....Family Gatherings...



Here is my mother's family gathered on the front steps in Hawaii where they all lived. I really don't know if this was taken in the summer, but it does remind me of family get togethers that so often occur during this time of year.

Not many smiley faces here, but I think that not many people smiled in the photographs of years ago. I know they were a fairly happy lot, albeit somewhat serious about life, religion and the rules of society in the early 1900's.


Posted by Picasa
I love how all of the little girls in the front row have all brought their dollies. My darling mother is right there down front, the one on the left next to the cutie with the little white hat. The boy on the far right looks as if he has had it with all of this nonsense. (click on the pic. for a better view) It's either that, or he had just received quite a scolding from one of his formidable aunties.

Wherever this summer takes you, I hope it is filled with family, fun and love. Just remember to "Say Cheese" when that camera goes click!

Best

11 comments:

robyn L. said...

I love this photo. Old family pictures are the best. We don't have too many in my family. We have one from the 1920s, and I think that's as far back as it goes. Anyway, great picture, and the boy on the right probably deserved his scolding. ;o)

weebug said...

old pictures are so much fun!

conner posse said...

it is a beautiful thing, to see old photographs - moments, frozen in time. i always wonder about each person staring back at me. who were they? what were the dreams? did they reach their goals, in their lifetime? it is wonderful to see and read about our families trees. the pictures we take today will one day be held in the hands of future generations. i wonder what they will say about us...

~ellen :)

jacquie said...

Great post! The boys and I will be going on maybe our last family road trip this summer.

henny said...

Do you still have many old pictures of your family? Very good if you do. You could easily remembering many great (happy or sad) moments of yours. I, myself have difficulties in organizing my parents pictures. I wish the digital camera had already exist at that times :)

Anonymous said...

What a great picture. Great family gathering - I miss that no one dresses up anymore. I have noticed that in a lot of old pictures the people always look very serious. Maybe because it was an expensive thing or something??

Nora said...

What a treasure! I'm sure it wasn't fun to pose in Hawaii in those clothes, no wonder they didn't smile...

Crayons said...

Hi Ellen,
How lucky you are to be with your family. Thanks for publishing this photo. It makes me dream of days gone past. Wonderful.

Dianne MacDonald said...

Great photo. How lovely to think about all those people from ages past and know where you came from. Belated congratulations on your anniversary. These days, not many are making it to such a milestone! I hope you have many, many more!

henny said...

Hi Ellen,
why don't you write a new post? Busy?? :)
I always wait for another interesting one..

Hurrayic said...

I love old photographs. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I think they didn't smile as much because taking the actual photograph took so long.